Lindsey Lawhon, Executive Director of the Council on Adolescents of Catawba County spoke to the Hickory Rotary Club today about recruiting adult mentors to participate in the Lunch Buddy Program during the upcoming school year. The “Lunch Buddy Program” is a mentoring program is has been implemented in three middle schools, one in each school system in Catawba County for the past two years.We are excited to share that beginning in the 2013-2014 school year, we will expand our offerings to serve a total of 5 middle schools.
The Lunch Buddy Program is designed to help reach students who are at risk and meet the criteria of potentially dropping out of school and helps create healthy attitudes and behavior in youth, as well as provide skills, resources, and positive experiences that will help them become successful, productive citizens. Community volunteers are recruited to become mentors, trained, have background checks performed, and are matched with an appropriate child. Mentors spend 30 minutes each week of the school year going into the school and eating lunch with the student, while building a positive relationship with him/her.
What does it take to become a Lunch Buddy mentor?
- You commit to spending 30 minutes once a week with a middle school student for the length of a school year
- Lunch Buddy Program staff will train you to become a Lunch Buddy through an Information and Orientation session
- You must have a background check performed
- The Lunch Buddy Program Coordinator at the Council on Adolescents and school staff will identify and connect you with the best mentor/mentee match possible
- You get to be a positive adult role model to an at-risk child in your community for an entire school year!
Currently serving the following schools:
- Arndt Middle School (NEW! in 2013-2014)
- Grandview Middle School
- Newton-Conover Middle School
- Northview Middle School (NEW! in 2013-2014)
- Riverbend Middle School
Click HERE to view the flyer about information to participate in the 2013-2014 school year!
For more information about how YOU or your business can become a Lunch Buddy, please contact our office at 828.322.4591 or email Lindsey Lawhon at LLawhon@coacatawba.org.