Awards Day was the focus of Hickory Rotary Club’s June 20th meeting. Several local non-profits were recipients of checks from Club President, Jill Patton:
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library – $15,000 for Imagination Library in Catawba County presented to Kim Holden
- Hickory Community Theater – $2,000 for Rug-Bug Theater program at HCT presented to John Rambo
- Hickory YMCA – $1,500 for child care financial assistance presented to Bob Conklin
- Hickory Museum of Art – $1,000 for Paul Whitener annual art show presented to Lisë Swensson
- Service League of Hickory – $1,000 for Back-Pack Program presented to Marty Cotton
- Hickory Landmark Society – $500 for Heritage Days at Maple Grove presented to Patrick Daily
These checks are in addition to checks distributed throughout the club’s July 2012 – June 2013 year. Checks previously distributed include:
- SAS (Service Above Self) Scholarships – $22,500
- Teacher of the Year Awards – $1,500
- International Wheel Chair Foundation – $500
- Books for South Africa (Ambassadorial Scholar Project) – $1,000
- Hickory High School (Interact Counselor’s Stipend) -$1,000
These distributions were made possible by the club’s successful fundraising activities, highlighted in March by the annual Rotarian Idol fundraiser. This year’s event raised over $60,000 for local educational initiatives.
Jill Patton also honored two members whose service merited special recognition.
Lynn Loehr (R) received the Heart of Rotary award for her many years of dedicated service to the club, community and her leadership managing the club’s finances as a Past President now serving in the Treasurer’s role. Bruce Bumbarger (L) was recognized as Rotarian of the Year for his management of the club’s website, club service, and communications to the membership on the club’s behalf.
Jill Patton recognized 27 members with perfect attendance:
John Bates, Michael Blackburn, Jan Bohmuller, Rich Brown, Bruce Bumbarger, Stan Bumgarner, Rose Mary Cheek, Bob Conklin, Dan Duke, Kimberly George, Thomas Griffis, Dan Kirby, Lynn Loehr, Linda Lutz, Neill MGeachy, David Millholland, John Millholland, David Moore, Jill Patton, Bill Peckman, John Rambo, John Ross, Charles Snipes, Steve Snyder, Mary Texer, Suzanne Trollan, Anne Williams
Also during the year, the club recognized ten new Paul Harris Fellows:
- Tara H Bland by Rotarian Lynn H Loehr
- Victoria McKenzie Clark by Rotarian Neill McGeachy
- Stephen Patrick Furlong by Rotarian George P Furlong
- Garrett Hinshaw by Hickory Rotary Club
- Kim Holden by Hickory Rotary Club
- Otis H Pitts Jr by Rotarian Neill McGeachy
- Betty Hefner Roberts by Rotarian Russell C Roberts
- Hal Row by Hickory Rotary Club
- Ann W Stalnaker by Hickory Rotary Club
- Douglas W Urland by Hickory Rotary Club
Donors of US$1,000 or more to the Annual Fund, Polio-Plus, or an approved Foundation grant, or people who have that amount contributed in their name, can be recognized as Paul Harris Fellows. Read the Paul Harris Society brochure. It provides more information about this special program, including its history and guidelines. Learn more about donor recognition totals for this and other recognition programs..